Storm Sewer & Flood Modeling

Welcome to the Innovyze Stormwater, Sewer, and Flood modeling feedback page.

This forum is the place to hear your ideas, feature suggestions, and feedback about our Stormwater, Sewer and Flood Modeling offerings.  For more information about these offerings, please visit: http://go.innovyze.com/Storm-Sewer-Flood

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Variable 2D roughness at low depths

When applying direct rainfall onto 2D zones traditional roughness values do not typically apply, especially where the depths of water on the mesh element are very small. Often the workaround is to apply much higher roughness values in order to 'slow the flow'. It would be helpful to have a depth varying roughness that could be phased out as the water depth increases. This would put ICM in line with how TUFLOW and Flood Modeller Pro deal with the problem.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. GIM and infiltration zones

When rainfall is applied to the 2D mesh with infiltration zones, it would be advantageous to have a GIM module that works with the infiltration zones, their infiltration model (i.e. Horton) and the sewer system to represent rainfall induce infiltration more effectively.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Triangles browser

Small triangles can slow down 2D simulations significantly. Currently, after creating a 2D mesh, I export the 2D mesh to a GIS software to check how many triangles I have below certain size and where they are. This helps me address the problem of small triangles efficiently. it would be helpful to have a similar functionality in ICM (i.e. triangles browser).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Adjust mesh locally without remeshing all

Adjust mesh locally without having to remesh the entire 2D zone.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are looking into this, but for the majority of cases it might be that there is already a significant improvement related to this with the new “Clip meshing” which was released with version 11.0 of the software, but in a prototype state, please ensure outputs are reviewed before use. The reason it provides an improvement is that it does a coarse mesh first (which is likely to remain unchanged if only small amendments are made) and follows this with a more detailed mesh after. It would be great to get any feedback you might have on your experiences with the Clip meshing and consistency of results.

5. support (geo)tiff format as ground model format

geo tiff is a more efficient format using less disk space, widely accepted.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Inserting channels into topography

Being able to insert channels into terrain rather than editing in 12D or other software would be more practical for smaller firms to turn around modelling ideas.

Landscape packages allow terrain meshes to be manipulated with tools that sink into mesh easily. Channels and swales need slope, not simply vertical depression to model correctly. XPStorm allows 1D modelling but this isn't useful for presentations and Civil 3d and 12d are catching up quickly now that rational method is being phased out.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

MORE INFO NEEDED  ·  0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. As a user, I would like to have warnings about the landuse polygon size that will greatly slow down the performance in XPSWMM.

Large number of land use polygons can greatly slow down the performance of XPSWMM, it can take up to 10 min to open and save a model. Ideally this issue should be fixed. Before that happens, if XPSWMM can warn the user for the large size of the landuse polygons, and provide links to ways to simplify the polygons or move landuse out as a reference layer, that will save the users lots of time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create preset 2D inflow equation

Similar to inlet capacity, have the ability to create 2D inflow equations relative to inlet size and control depending on weir or orifice curves. This will allow the user to increase or change 2D inflow control easier and more standardized.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Include groundlevel as attribute in export network 2D mesh elements

When you export a model to shape for example, only the element id is included. You have to run a simulation (for a second) and then exporting maximum reveales the element ground level. It saves time to add the mesh element level to the export. Although easy to add in GIS, the element area is also a handy attribute

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Mesh result smoothing

Automated smoothing of flood depths from mesh elements, giving a less jagged appearance.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  1 comment  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Apply RTC / observed values to Sluice Linear Structures

At the moment we cannot move sluice linear structures in 2D. We're wanting to model a river entirely in 2D but the river is subject to a series of barrages that would require control. Therefore it would be essential to apply RTC and observed settings to the gates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Merge more than two polygon in one go

Merging polygons representing for instance mesh zones can help reducing the number of triangles, particularly small ones, and reduce simulation time. The version of ICM I am using can only merge two polygons at the time. I currently do the polygon merge as part of my data pre-processing before importing the data into ICM as I can merge more than two polygons at the time. However, it would be useful to be able merge several polygons in one go in ICM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Reduce validation time of models with river banks or inline banks

Current validation of models with bank lines takes a long long time for larger models, Up to several hours. My first guess is that checking a vertice bank level against the mesh level is the probelm. Same thing happens when you want to update ground levels from the mesh. This is also very very slow. It would help productivity speed if this could be reduced significantly

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Loading bars for large 2d TIN results.

Vissible loading progress for loading large or TIN modelling results.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Enable TIN Reference in Scenarios (Enable/Disable)

All other layers in XPSTORM/XPSWMM are able to be deactivated for different scenarios.

If you could allow for the Topography tins to be activated and deactivated (like Fill Areas, Elevation Shapes etc), this will allow for multiple scenarios (i.e. pre- and post-development) and minimise the complexities of trying to model two identical scenarios on two seperate models.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base