Storm Sewer & Flood Modeling

Welcome to the Innovyze Stormwater, Sewer, and Flood modeling feedback page.

This forum is the place to hear your ideas, feature suggestions, and feedback about our Stormwater, Sewer and Flood Modeling offerings.  For more information about these offerings, please visit: http://go.innovyze.com/Storm-Sewer-Flood

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enhance import/export of SWMM models for ICM platform

Enhance model import from SWMM5 INP files to include a few of the Open Data Import Center /Open Data Export Center options:
    • Only update existing records
    • Ignore existing objects
    • Overwrite, Merge, etc.
    • Export Selection only
    Ultimately we want to have a central model copy but have the ability to easily push out and in simple EPASWMM INP files for developers and others. When a new SWMM INP file comes back from another modeler, we’d like a good way to update the existing model from that.
    It would be great if this applied to both SWMM and…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Exchange  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add node level (hydraulic grade line) data to custom graphs for calibration

Allow for the ability to compare observed and predicted level data (or hydraulic grade lines) at nodes. Instead of depth in the pipe, I typically have water surface elevations at a node, specifically for treatment plant hydraulic modeling.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Calibration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Part load ICM results

It would be helpful if you could open a specific part of a results file for a completed simulation run. For instance, schedule and complete a 10 year timeseries run but only load the last year of results.

As others have mentioned on here, the option to open part of a bigger results file would limit the unnecessary long regeneration times, you could pick which variables you would like to load e.g. runoff only or depths and flows, and you could perform reports on part of the results.

I appreciate I can run shorter periods i.e. yearly data rather than…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Productivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. XPSWMM Inlet capacity - head difference rating or geometry-based inlets

Inlet capacity creates a second node internally to XPSWMM. Currently, the rating curve methods for it are calculated based on node depth, rather than head differential, which doesn’t work right with 2D if the storm sewer HGL is above the gutter.

I really like how inlet capacity doesn’t require adding an extra node. I would like to suggest it be expanded as follows:

1) Simply add a head differential rating curve.

2) Add a structure-based option for inlets,

For a structure-based inlet, it could essentially be a multi-link. I would like to have a global database of standard inlet types…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. As a user, I would like to be able to import polygon with holes in it (donut) as subcatchments,

So that I can model situation part of the drainage area is not draining to the storm sewer system.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hydrology  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Convergence Errors be resolved automatically while the model is simulated

Sometime a TSR running for few weeks throws up convergence hence these sims need to be rerun with shorter timestep which is both inefficient and a lot of time is wasted. It would be good if somehow the simulations dialog allowed to run the model with Max and Min timestep so that when it encounters convergence there after the model runs with shorter timestep. (I understand the model does timestep halving but even then it fails to converge)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Productivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for this, there is already a mechanism available for achieving something very similar to this. If you have a network and then go to the simulation parameters for this network via Model > Model parameters > Simulation parameters then within these there is an entry for “Max number of timestep halvings”. Depending on the timestep in the run dialog and the entry in the simulation parameters here you will be able to determine the minimum computational timestep that the engine goes to before failing a simulation.

Hope this helps.

7. Structure flow mode reported in the results

Sometimes when evaluating results at structures we see strange results that require investigation; invariably we find out that this is because the flow mode has changed. (e.g. from free to drowned). It would be very helpful if the ICM results were able to report the flow mode as a time-varying output. This would result in a lot of time saving when investigating models. For reference I am referring to the Flow Mode functionality that is available in InfoWorks RS and Flood Modeller Pro.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Use Machine Learning to estimate subcatchment inflows to network

Allow users to skip parameterized subcatchment hydrology estimates which may become outdated over time and replace it with machine learning on measured data from TSDB.

Flow meter could train algorithm which learns to predict flows based on rainfall. This flow is then allocated to upstream contributing subcatchments.
    As TSDB grows, flow forecasts potentially improve.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Live Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Python scripting API for ICM

Our team uses Python scripting extensively for data analysis and manipulation, while Ruby is foreign to us.
    Please provide scripting support for Python for model manipulation and analysis.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Productivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allocate a subcatchment’s flows among several nodes

This is an idea from CDM Smith == I have an engine feature idea that has occurred to me at various times but never acted on. Today I was discussing an InfoWorks model with a junior colleague. It would clearly help us in this model to be able to allocate a subcatchment’s flows among several nodes, whether identically or according to specified proportions. In this case, we’re filling out an existing model that previously had all 10” and larger pipes in town to now include all the 8” as well, tripling the size of the model. We’re basing new subcatchments…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hydrology  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is the ability to drain a subcatchment laterally to multiple links in InfoWorks ICM, would this be a close enough representation? When looking to split subcatchment flows across multiple nodes, this is usually achieved by splitting the subcatchments so there is one available for each node which is to be drained to.

11. RTC rule themes

It would be great if it was possible to theme in the GeoPlan on the basis of the rules which are active for a given object at the visible timestep.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Application of design storms in ICMLive

We'd like to be able to predefine some design storms in ICMLive (note that this is NOT the same as design rainfall in ICM). The idea is that we'd have these storms that could be optionally applied by operators to see the likely effect of a rainfall event. Essentially we are looking for the same functionality that existed in FloodWorks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Live Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. GIM and infiltration zones

When rainfall is applied to the 2D mesh with infiltration zones, it would be advantageous to have a GIM module that works with the infiltration zones, their infiltration model (i.e. Horton) and the sewer system to represent rainfall induce infiltration more effectively.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Use ruby to edit rainfall dialogue box

Exporting rainfall files to csv for manipulation creates details of the storm events themselves, we would like to be able to change the return periods, durations, multiplying factors shown in the rainfall dialogue editor instead.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Data Exchange  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can the simulation log file be broken up into sections

Can the simulation log file be broken up into sections, as models get bigger and many with several 2d zone trying to find what is actual causing a simulations failure is becoming a bit more difficult having to scroll through big log files for that one line of information. Im thinking a summary sheet on why sim failed, along with a 1d, 2d possible river as well. Would help you look for issues.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Select which result variables you want to save

The more functionalities become available in ICM, the larger results files grow and the less manageable they become (especially when running longer time series). In most cases people are only interested in very specific results (e.g. depth, flows, ... and not such things as all the detailed runoff components). So if one would be able to select at the simulation schedule which variables were to be stored), results file sizes (and hence results querying !) could be reduced enormeously.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow user to set number format in ICM grid windows

It would be great if a user could set number formats in InfoWorks ICM grid windows. For example, we are calibrating a large diameter pipeline by adjusting Manning's n values. We are using 5 digits after the decimal place, but ICM only shows 4 digits. When I copy from the grid, it only copies 4 digits after the decimal. So I have to use a csv export to see the actual values. Or at least set Manning's n values to 5 digits after the decimal place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Validation of Bridge data

When a model is validated, it doesn't pick up on problems with bridges, that prevent the model from running. For example, the error "bed section is above soffit" is given when trying to run the model, but does not appear in the validation messages. Also, when cross section lines were changed, the validation messages do not mention you having to update the bridge (as they do with the reaches).
    A better bridge validation would be very useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  River Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. As a user, I would like the computing time to be reported as clock time rather than CPU time in XPSWMM 2D

I just noticed this when trying to run a test on model speed. This is with the “CPU” Extreme option and 4 CPUs selected. The clock time is about 16 minutes, but the elapsed time is showing at 58 (close to 16x4). I think the ET is counting CPU time, and not clock time. While CPU time is interesting, I think it would be better to report clock time if you’re going to label it “Elapsed Time”.

Perhaps a separate “CPU Time” line would be appropriate when using multiple CPUs.

==============================================================

| XPSWMM/XPSTORM Simulation Date and Time Summary |

==============================================================

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Increased number of user pollutants

We would like to be able to trace pollutant sources through our 2D model. The way to do this would be to use the user defined pollutants . But... at the moment there are only four pollutants and potentially we'd have many different sources that we'd like to track. Can the number of user pollutants be increased? We can't give a number that this would need to be increased but it could be several hundred.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Water Quality  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this, I assume that as long as the end goal of being able to trace a significant number of sources through the 2D is met this would be sufficient? As in it is not actually pollutants you wish to be able to trace but rather the source of flows?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base