Storm Sewer & Flood Modeling

Welcome to the Innovyze Stormwater, Sewer, and Flood modeling feedback page.

This forum is the place to hear your ideas, feature suggestions, and feedback about our Stormwater, Sewer and Flood Modeling offerings.  For more information about these offerings, please visit: http://go.innovyze.com/Storm-Sewer-Flood

Please note that your ideas and comments posted here are visible to all other users.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better documentation on XPX/XPTABLES to map UI element to variables

I would like for Innovyze to create a complete list of all the codes that can be used in XPX or XPTables, with descriptions of how they are used, and/or make it very easy to find out what those codes are.

For example, NKLASS is used in XPX to change the conduit shape. In XPX, the NKLASS codes are just numbers that correspond to particular shapes. To figure out which number is which takes making a dummy model . I was hoping that you have a full data definition somewhere that tells what all these things are.

In XPTables, however,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Data Exchange  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Incorporate ARR2019 Initial Loss & Continuing Loss (IL/CL) infilitration type for 2D Infiltration surfaces

ICM currently allows 4 infiltration types in 2D infiltration types:

-fixed
    -Horton
    -Constinf
    -GreenAmpt

Australian Rainfall and Runoff 2019 talks default initial loss and continuing loss parameters for rural catchments, values for which which can be found in the BOM data hub.

A new 2D infiltration type which allows the simple IL/CL would allow 2D modelling more inline with ARR2019.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Hydrology  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. RTC rule themes

It would be great if it was possible to theme in the GeoPlan on the basis of the rules which are active for a given object at the visible timestep.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Automated Calibration Tool

Tool similar to competing software where you can apply a level (%) of uncertainty and automatically sun simulations with varied parameters withing that level of uncertainty and see all results at once.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  Calibration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for Hong Kong Observatory Rainfall Data

The Hong Kong Observatory is the authority responsible for producing observed and forecast rainfall data for the territory. Their data is produced in a format not currently supported in ICMLive so we have to convert it into shape files to be used. Direct reading of this data would enable both more efficient data loading processes as well as reducing the potential for errors.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Rainfall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Export of simulation log files from ICMLive

We'd like the log file to be automatically exported as part of the live modelling workflows. This log file contains important information pertaining to the TSDBs that we would like to use in some additional post-processing. Could this be part of the manifest export process?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Live Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Use of cfg for mapping in Polygon Generation via Intersection or have a Ruby do it

In doing (and often multiple redoing) the Polygon Generation via Intersection, it would be very useful to have the opportunity to save the mapping (which GIS or Network Field in which Polygon field) in a cfg file, like the ODEC feature has the opportunity to save the mapping.
    As an alternative it would also be very useful to be able to run a Ruby which activates the Polygon Generation via Intersection and even the Area Take Off features.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Save toolbar and screen configurations and locations

I run InfoWorks on my laptop, and have an external monitor. I find I'm often searching for toolbar buttons because switching between the two monitors of different sizes re-configures the locations of the various toolbars and screens.

For example, on my external monitor there is enough room to have the User Actions toolbar displaying, but my laptop is smaller and there is no longer enough room for it, so instead of two rows it bumps down to three and moves my toolbars all around. Adding in profiles or even a scrollable space for the toolbars so the ones to the…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  2 comments  ·  Productivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Circular sluices/penstocks would also be useful

Similar to the rectangular flap valve request, circular sluices would avoid workarounds trying to estimate the rectangular equivalent to a half closed circular penstock (or worse still a half closed egg shaped penstock)

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to disable flag colour backgrounds for Custom Labels

When creating a custom label and using field values, the values have a background in the colour of the flag value. In many cases, the flag value is not a suitable colour to be a background and makes the text difficult to read.
    Could you make an option in the Formatting settings for custom labels to disable this behaviour so that the flag colour is not displayed.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  Visualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Attribute table copy function

A better copy function between networks might be usefull: e.g. Also copy the 'link head discharge' or 'conduit shape geometry' tables when copying a link from one network to an other. Or at least a popup allowing you to select which lists to copy or not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Exchange  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. bottom opening

Beside an upstanding vertical orrifice, it would be practical to be able to implement horizontal 'bottom holes' from one node to an underlaying node. e.g when a ditch can drain to an underlying conduit by means of a bottom opening. This might be a more straight forward implementation then the weir circumference workround method which is now often used. if possible both circular and rectangular.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hydraulics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Validation as a background task

Validation as a background task so UI isn't locked.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Productivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have spent quite a bit of time investigating how validation improvements might be achieved, whether that be through validation as a background task or whether it be with improvements on the speed of validation in the first place.

There is no silver bullet which has been identified so far, the validation is already very efficient with minimal potential for speed improvements and there are issues with it as a background task as previously mentioned which we haven’t got fully fledged solutions to yet.

14. Triangles browser

Small triangles can slow down 2D simulations significantly. Currently, after creating a 2D mesh, I export the 2D mesh to a GIS software to check how many triangles I have below certain size and where they are. This helps me address the problem of small triangles efficiently. it would be helpful to have a similar functionality in ICM (i.e. triangles browser).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Extend cross section lines

When there is a cross section line present, it would be good if these could automatically be extended by a given distance to the left/right to ensure sufficient coverage, especially when sampling from a ground model.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

IN DEVELOPMENT  ·  0 comments  ·  River Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Background tasks overall progress visible in ICM

I think waiting for ICM to finish the task without having an idea about when this might be is not productive at all. Tasks like opening a simulation, graph something in the model, running a statistical template should be done accompanied by a loading bar, which will show the overall progress of that task.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Partially complete a simulation and review results and then opt to continue the simulation

Simulations often take a long time to run. I would like to be able to "pause" the simulation and review the results to check that the initialisation is correct, or that an RTC is working properly, and if I am happy then continue the simulation to completion.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Productivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The approach which we are looking to leverage here is one which deviates a little from the original request but gives the same ability to interrogate results part way through a simulation. After investigating options, the best appears to be to have a run for the total duration you are interested in, then set a state saving checkbox in the run and when you wish to interrogate simulation results stop the simulation. We will then make use of ICMLive developed concatenation of results to allow us to tie in the “continuation run” with the results which were stopped earlier. There is a lot more detail to this than I can add here, but it should meet the need.

18. Apply rain gauge boundaries to multiple rainfall events

I would like to load rain gauge boundaries to multiple rainfall events at once. I have had to import rainfall profiles from .csv files and I have lots of durations and return periods. Saving the rain gauge boundaries to each file is time consuming. Having a batch tool where the appropriate rainfall events are loaded at the same time would speed up this process in the future.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Rainfall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this request, for application to 1D networks the profile for subcatchments could be used but if the rainfall needs to be applied to a 2D zone as well where spatial distribution is required then in that instance this wouldn’t work I guess so I see the need here.

19. Select objects outside polygon in SQL

In Infoworks ICM the SQL select has a spatial search option where I can, for example, select all nodes within a 2D zone.
    I am wanting to select all nodes outside the 2D zones, and this I am unable to do as inverting the selection will select all objects. not just nodes.
    I want to do this as I am only trying to run a subcatchment of a larger model and wish to change the node type of the nodes outside the 2D zone so they dont try to connect to the surface. Infoworks seems to prevent a model from…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  2D Flooding  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello, thank you for this. In this particular example could you invert the selection, which I appreciate will select all objects other than the nodes inside the 2D zone and then hold down CTRL while opening the Nodes grid? This should open the nodes grid with only the selected nodes active so that the flood type can be changed if needed.

20. I would like to create a template for model import from GIS to XPSWMM

When you go exchange data from GIS to XPSWMM you need to find all the fields you want each time and rename all the field for GIS compatibility. I would like to create a standard template once and use that template for each model and each time I need to exchange data. I may even create smaller templates to import catchments, hydrology data, and networks separately.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with:
    Signed in as (Sign out)

RECEIVED  ·  0 comments  ·  Data Exchange  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base